A long time ago I started to experience problems with updates from Steam. The updater deletes steam.exe before replacing it with a new version, but deleting steam.exe failed (steam.exe was deleted, but the file is still there) and the file would still be there, inaccessible to anyone and anything. The file would eventually disappear after 10 minutes, but this was kinda annoying as this also translated itself in delays when doing copy/cut-paste operations and this would also prevent me from building or re-building applications in Visual Studio.
I kinda got used to this problem and left it as it was, thinking it might be related to a driver issue or something, until last week I discoverd this was only related to executables; Windows 7 just couldn’t delete executables without a delay of 10 minutes. This bit of info was of great help because I wasn’t the only on having this problem !
The problem, unfortunately, wasn’t cause by Windows itself, but by me ! For some reason, I had disabled the “Application Experience” service. The fix is very easy (and as usual, you do everything at your own risk):
Right click Computer (on desktop or Start menu) > Manage , then under “Services and Applications”, choose “Services” . In the list you’ll find the “Application Experience” service:
Double click on this service and change the “Startup type” from “Disabled” to “Manual”. There is no need to choose automatic, the default startup type is manual and Microsoft did choose this for a reason (I guess 😛 ). Just starting the service didn’t solve the problem immediately so I suggest you to restart Windows (or kill explorer.exe ).
Steam updater works perfectly now and so does Visual Studio 2010 !
This post was originally posted on my My.Opera blog on Thursday, November 4, 2010 7:11:07 AM. This post has been copied to my WordPress blog since the My.Opera blogging service will be discontinued.