After looking around a little bit on the internet I found this interesting registry key and a list of default values too:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers
Using TotalCommander I started checking the values and noticed that both InputBufferSize and OutputBufferSize where set to 0. After changing these values, and those residing in the QUALGPSHarware key*, to 4096 and after rebooting my device, the GPS Intermediate Driver started working again.
*chances are that you have a different GPS(driver)
This post was originally posted on my My.Opera blog on Sunday, August 14, 2011 11:00:11 AM. This post has been copied to my WordPress blog since the My.Opera blogging service will be discontinued.